What is SKIN CANCER?
The growth of abnormal skin cells in the surface of skin causes skin cancer.
It can spread to other parts of body such as arms , legs, and other body parts.
Skin cancer is most common type of cancer and it is mostly caused with UV rays. If it can be diagnosed on time , it is treatable.
It mainly develops on the areas of the skin which is exposed to sun. Occurs mainly on face , neck , legs, nails, feets, and more.
Skin cancer could be cancerous or non cancerous. It is caused due to lack of immunity .
TYPES OF SKIN CANCER
- BASAL CELL CARCINOMA – Skin cancer that develops in basal cells . It is caused due to UV rays and this type of cancer is most common type of skin cancer . It accounts to about 75% -80%.
- SQUAMOUS CELL CARCINOMA – This type of skin cancer is that develops between middle and outer layer of the skin . this type of cancer is rarely caused cancer . it is caused due to increased growth of abnormal cells in the skin . it accounts to around 15 – 20% of all skin cancers.
- MELANNOMA – It is common type of skin cancer . Its symptoms are change in the mole already on the skin or new arising in the skin.
25% cases of melanoma skin cancer develops from moles.It is caused due to development of pigment containing cells known as melanocytes. It is not much curable.
SYMPTOMS OF SKIN CANCER
– Appearance of shiny pink skin
– Red spot in the center
– Bluish black patch on the skin on the chest or back
– Changing mole on the skin
– Pink , white fleshy lumps on the skin
– appearing of new mole
CAUSES OF SKIN CANCER
– Pale skin – the change in the colour of skin could cause skin cancer.
– Hair colour changes – changes in the colour of hair to red or orange could be the cause for skin cancer.
– Appearing of many moles – when moles start appearing on the skin , it could be the reason for skin cancer
– Scars on the skin – appearing of the scars on the skin could cause skin cancer
– Weak immunity – people with weak immunity are more prone to suffer from cancer.
– Smoking – it is one the major cause of causing skin cancer
– Exposure to UV rays – Ultraviolet rays are the major cause of skin cancer
– Exposure to environmental chemicals such as arsenic , paraffin ,tar , etc. – chemicals such as arsenic , tar , paraffin can cause skin cancer.
DOCTORS diagnosing SKIN CANCER
DERMATOLOGIST – Doctors dealing with skin diseases.
ONCOLOGIST – Doctors dealing with cancer patients.
DIAGNOSIS OF SKIN CANCER
– FAMILY HISTORY – A member of the family who had any kind of skin cancer is more prone to chances of skin cancer to other members also.
-BIOSPY – A sample is scrapped from the skin to check whether it is cancerous or non cancerous.
– CT SCAN – Scanning is done to see the detailed images of skin layers.
– MRI – MAGNETIC RESONNANCE IMAGING – It is done to diagnose skin cancer and to see to what extent it has spread in the body.
-PET ( POSITRON EMISSION TOMOGRAPHY) – It is done to see the stage of skin cancer in the body.
LAB TESTS – Lab tests are done to examine about skin cancer through blood tests
– PHYSICAL EXAMINATION- Changes in the colour of skin , hair , moles changing could be the reason for skin cancer
What is the TREATMENT for SKIN CANCER?
– SIMPLE EXCISION – in this process, local anaesthia is injected and surgery is done to remove the cancer cells from the skin and area surrounded by it.
– SURGERY – A proper surgery is done to remove the cancer cells from the skin
-CHEMOTHERAPY – This therapy is done to remove cancer cells through skin .
– RADIATION THERAPY – High radiation rays are given to kill cancer cells from the skin
– IMMUNOTHERAPY – Increasing the immune system of the body to prevent cancer cells from further increasing .
– Proper diet
– quit smoking
– avoid exposure to environmental; chemicals
– regular skin check ups
– check of vit D levels of the body
CELEBRITIES WHO OVERCOME SKIN CANCER
MELANIE GRIFFITH – Actress by profession , diagnosed with skin cancer in 2009 with both basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma underwent the surgery.
HUGH JACKMAN – Australian actor , diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma underwent radiation and chemotherapies.
DIANE KEATON – A fair beautiful lady had a squamous cell carcinoma skin cancer on face and thus underwent simple excision
MICHELLE MONAGHAN- A beautiful actress , worked in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE was diagnosed with skin cancer in 2011 as she noticed a mole on the back of leg and thus underwent the surgery.
ANDERSON COOPER – Journalist by profession , had a small spot of of skin cancer due to exposed to ultraviolet rays so underwent the surgery to cure it.