Name: PVC IV Cannula
What is a cannula?
A cannula is a tube that can be inserted into the body, often for the delivery or removal of fluid or for the collection of samples. In simple terms, a cannula can surround the inner or outer surfaces of a trocar needle thus extending the effective needle length by at least half the length of the original needle. It is also called an intravenous (IV) cannula. Its size mainly ranges from 14 to 26 gauge. Different-sized cannula have different colors codes.
How will the cannula be inserted?
The healthcare staff insert the PVC into the vein by using a fine needle which they then remove to leave the cannula in the vein. There might be a sharp pain as the needle is being inserted, but this should stop once the cannula is inserted and in place. If the pain continues, inform the member of staff who is inserting the cannula. Once inserted, staff will apply a sterile dressing and flush the cannula with saline to check if it is in the vein.
What prevention should be taken while inserting a cannula?
The healthcare professionals must take the following preventions to ensure the safety of the patient:
- Performing hand hygiene and putting on clean gloves and a plastic apron
- Carefully cleaning the skin where the PVC is going to be inserted
- Using a sterile PVC cannula
- Using a technique which reduces the risk of infection
What are the things the patient should be careful about?
The patient should be careful about the following:
- Keep the area clean and dry and try not to touch it. Try not to bump the cannula.
- Don’t wear jewelry such as watches on the same side as the cannula.
- Take care when removing clothes to stop the cannula being moved. Try to wear loose clothing.
- Tell a member of staff the dressing becomes wet, dirty, loose, or falls off, the area becomes red, painful, or swollen around the cannula.
- Ask the healthcare staff if the cannula can be removed if it is not being used for any purpose.
What are the sizes available in Cannula?
Cannula are available in the following sizes: 14G (Orange), 16G (Grey), 18G (Green), 20G (Pink), 22G (Blue), 24G (Yellow), 26G (Purple).