Store at room temperature
Xeljanz 5mg (Tofacitinib) tablet is used in the treatment of Rheumatoid arthritis. It belongs to a class of medications known as immunomodulators. This medicine shows its action by blocking the action of the enzyme, Janus kinase. Xeljanz 5mg tablet helps to decrease joint damage in rheumatoid arthritis. Take this medicine as prescribed by your doctor. It is advisable not to change your regular dosing schedule without taking suggestions from your doctor. The recommended dose of Xeljanz medicine is decided by a doctor according to your previous medical condition, your condition, and your response to the treatment. If you experience any side effects and symptoms while receiving Xeljanz 5mg tablet inform your doctor immediately.
How does Xeljanz 5mg tablet work?
Xeljanz 5mg tablet targets inflammation present in rheumatoid arthritis by inhibiting the Janus kinases enzymes. These enzymes are involved in the inflammatory response pathway. Treatment with Xeljanz 5mg tablet is associated with dose-dependent increases in B cell counts. Changes in circulating T-lymphocyte counts and T-lymphocyte subsets (CD3+, CD4+, and CD8+) were small and inconsistent. After treatment with Xeljanz 5mg tablet in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, rapid decreases in serum C-reactive protein (CRP) were observed and maintained throughout dosing.
Usage of Xeljanz 5mg Tablet
Xeljanz 5mg Tablet is used to treat certain types of arthritis (Psoriatic Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and polyarticular course juvenile idiopathic arthritis-pcJIA). Xeljanz 5mg tablet also helps to block a certain enzyme in the body that affects the immune system. Take this tablet orally once a day with or without food. Regular monitoring of blood cell count, liver function, kidney function, and cholesterol levels is required during treatment with this medicine. Do not use Xeljanz 5mg Tablet (Tofacitinib) if you are pregnant.
Side Effects of Xeljanz 5mg Tablet
This medicine may cause some major and minor side effects. Discuss the risks and benefits of the Xeljanz 5mg tablet with the doctor before starting the treatment.
Common Side Effects
- Bladder pain
- Irregular heartbeat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Unusual tiredness
- Sore throat
- Weight loss
- Chest pain
- Ear congestion
- Back pain
- Inflammation of the throat and the nasal passage
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Allergic reaction
- Unusual weakness
- Shortness of breath
- Muscle pain
- Pounding in the ears
- Swollen glands
- Decreased urination
- Sunken eyes
- Tingling of the hands or feet
Note - immediately contact your health care provider if any side effects occur.
Take Xeljanz 5mg Tablet as prescribed by your doctor. Do not stop or skip your regular dosing schedule.
- It is advisable not to miss a dose. If you miss a scheduled dose of Xeljanz tablets, contact your doctor immediately.
Before starting treatment with Xeljanz 5mg Tablet, please discuss your previous medical history with your doctor. If you experience any signs and symptoms while receiving this medication, do not ignore those symptoms because it may lead to higher risk.
- Use suitable methods of contraception to prevent pregnancy while taking Xeljanz 5mg Tablet.
- Xeljanz 5mg Tablet is not recommended for use in children under 18 years of age
- Do not use Xeljanz 5mg Tablet medicine if you are planning to conceive. Avoid this medication during pregnancy.
- Xeljanz 5mg Tablet is not recommended while breastfeeding unless it is required. Please consult with your doctor before starting treatment with this medicine.
- Xeljanz 5mg Tablet may affect the immune system and may increase the risk of developing infections.
- Xeljanz tablets may increase the levels of cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol.
- Inform your doctor if you experience any side effects like - dizziness, nausea, abdominal pain, increased appetite, and vomiting.
- This medicine requires close monitoring of liver and kidney function during treatment.
- Xeljanz 5mg Tablet medicine may increase the risk of non-melanoma skin cancer.
- Do not crush or break the tablet.
- Not safe for pregnant women.
Q1. What Is Xeljanz 5mg Tablet (Tofacitinib)?
Ans. Xeljanz 5mg Tablet is used in the treatment of Rheumatoid arthritis. It helps to block a certain enzyme in the body that affects the immune system.
Q2. In What Strength Is It Available?
Ans. Xeljanz Tablet is available in the strength of 5mg, 10mg, 11mg, and 22mg.
Q3. What Are The Side Effects Of Xeljanz 5mg Tablet?
Ans. Some common side effects of Xeljanz 5mg Tablet are bladder pain, constipation, insomnia, sore throat, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, fever, etc.
Q4. What Happens If I Miss A Dose?
Ans. If you miss a scheduled dose of Xeljanz tablets, contact your doctor immediately.
Q5. How Does Xeljanz 5mg Tablet Work?
Ans. Xeljanz 5mg Tablet works by blocking the action of the enzyme, Janus kinase which in turn helps to decrease joint damage in rheumatoid arthritis.
Q6. Can I Take This Medicine (Xeljanz 5mg Tablet) During Pregnancy?
Ans. This medicine is not recommended during pregnancy.
Q7. What Should I Avoid While Receiving This Medication?
Ans. Follow your doctor’s advice about any restrictions on food and other activities.
Q8. How to take this medicine?
Ans. It is important to take this medicine as prescribed by your doctor.
Q9. Can I Drive After Taking This Medicine?
Ans. Xeljanz 5mg Tablet may affect your vision and your ability to concentrate so avoid driving after taking this medicine.
Q10. Does Xeljanz 5mg Tablet Affect Kidney Function?
Ans. Please consult your doctor before consuming this drug if you have any health condition related to your kidney.
Q11. What Are The Storage Conditions Required for Xeljanz 5mg Tablet?
Ans. Store this medicine at room temperature.
Q12. Can I Take This Medicine During Breastfeeding?
Ans. Xeljanz 5mg Tablet is not recommended during breastfeeding unless it is absolutely necessary.
Xeljanz 5mg Tablet can interact with other medications which can increase the risk of side effects. So discuss your previous medical history with the doctor so he can consider all the factors before prescribing Xeljanz 5mg Tablet to you.
There may be an interaction between Xeljanz and the medicines mentioned below
The following are the disease interactions that may occur with the Xeljanz tablet
- Hepatitis B
- Viral reactivation
- Renal disease
- Hepatic Impairment
Interaction with alcohol is unknown. Please consult your doctor before consuming alcohol.
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to Tofacitinib.
- Xeljanz 5mg tablet is not recommended in patients who are hypersensitive to tofacitinib.
Tofacitinib Interactions Checker. Drugs.com. https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/tofacitinib.html
Tofacitinib: MedlinePlus drug information. https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a613025.html
Tofacitinib: Uses, interactions, mechanism of action | DrugBank Online. DrugBank. https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB08895