Brand Name: Duovir
Generic Name: Lamivudine and Zidovudine
Packing: 60 tabs
Diseases: Anti HIV
What is Duovir (Lamivudine and Zidovudine)?
Duovir Tablet is a combination of two medications used to prevent human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection to reproduce in the blood.
How does Duovir (Lamivudine and Zidovudine) work?
Lamivudine and Zidovudine belong to a group of medications called nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NRTIs). Reverse transcriptase is essential for growth of HIV virus and lamivudine-zidovudine prevents it from working properly, thus delaying other infections and slowing the reproduction HIV in blood. This medication does not cure AIDS neither prevents it from spreading.
How do I take Duovir (Lamivudine and Zidovudine)?
This medicine is indicated to take orally, with food or on an empty stomach. Take this medicine exactly as prescribed by your doctor and do not take two doses to make up for a missed one.
Recommended dosage for adolescents weighing more than 30kg (66lb) is one table, twice every day.
What does Duovir consist of?
Duovir consists of Lamivudine 150mg and Zidovudine 300mg.
What precautions do I need to take before consuming Duovir (Lamivudine and Zidovudine)?
- If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, consult your doctor before taking this medicine and discuss about risks and benefits.
- Lamivudine-Zidovudine passes into breast milk, if you are breastfeeding while taking this medicine, it may affect your baby. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
- If you have a history of pancreatitis, tell your doctor about it, and discuss how this medication could affect your health condition.
- This medication may result in lowered levels of WBCs. This usually happens if this medicine is taken more than 4-6 weeks.
- Consult your doctor before taking any medicine while taking lamivudine-zidovudine as it could interact with other medications.
- Do not stop taking this medication unless your doctor advises you to do so as it may worsen your health condition.
What are the side effects of Duovir (Lamivudine and Zidovudine)?
- General side effects include nausea, fatigue, diarrhea, loss of appetite, headache, stomach pain, vomiting, muscle and joint pain.
- Severe side effects include difficulty concentrating, fever, sore throat, muscle tenderness, weakness, skin rashes, tingling sensation or burning in hands and feet.
- Duovir Tablet may cause pancreatitis (inflammation of pancreas). If you experience symptoms of pancreatitis such as backpain, nausea, fever, chills, fastened heartbeat, etc., get medical attention as soon as possible.
- This medication may cause liver problems such as decreased liver function and buildup of ritonavir and lopinavir in the body. If you experience any symptoms of liver problems such as abdominal pain, vomiting, fever, itching, yellowing of the skin and eyes, dark urine, seek immediate help.
- This medication may cause a rare bone marrow condition called pure red cell aplasia in which the RBCs produced by bone marrow are reduced. If you experience symptoms such as pale skin, unusually tired or shortness of breath- seek immediate help.
- This medication may instigate lactic acidosis which a rare condition in which there is buildup of lactic acid with a fatty liver. If you experience any of the symptoms such as nausea, stomach pain, dizziness, etc., seek immediate medical attention.