Brand Name: Imatero
Generic Name: Imatinib mesylate
Dosage Form: Tablet
Strength: 100mg and 400mg
Composition: Imatinib mesylate
Indication: Blood cancer
Packaging: 10 tablets (10 / strip)
Storage: Store at room temperature
Imatero (Imatinib mesylate) tablet is used in the treatment of blood cancer (chronic myeloid
leukemia and Acute lymphocytic leukemia) and gastrointestinal stromal tumor. It belongs to a
family of medications known as tyrosine kinase inhibitors. This medicine inhibits the proliferation
and induces apoptosis (planned cell death) in BCR-ABL positive cells (cancer cells). It is
important to take this medicine as prescribed by your doctor. The recommended dose of Imatib
tablet is decided by a doctor according to your previous medical condition and response to the
treatment. Do not stop the use of Imatib tablets without consulting with your doctor. If you
experience any signs and symptoms while receiving this medicine, inform your doctor
Imatinib Mesylate is a protein-tyrosine kinase inhibitor that inhibits the BCR-ABL tyrosine
kinase, the constitutive abnormal tyrosine kinase created by the Philadelphia chromosome
abnormality in CML. It inhibits proliferation and induces apoptosis in BCR-ABL positive cell lines
as well as fresh leukemic cells from Philadelphia chromosome-positive chronic myeloid
Imatero tablets can interact with other medications and it may increase the risk for side effects.
Don’t forget to disclose and discuss your previous medical history with the doctor.
● Fluid retention
● Kidney impairment
● Cardiovascular disease
● Liver impairment
● Bone marrow suppression
● Interaction with alcohol is unknown. Please consult your doctor before consuming
● Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to Imatinib mesylate.
● Imatero (Imatinib mesylate) medicine is not recommended in patients known to be
This medicine may cause some common and serious side effects. Discuss the risks and
benefits of the Imatero tablets with the doctor before starting the treatment.
Common side effects
● Abdominal pain
● Joint pain
● Weight gain
● Muscle pain
● Blurred vision
● Weight loss
● Joint pain
Serious side effects
● Swelling of the hands and feet
● Presence of blood in cough
● Difficulty in breathing
● Pale skin
● Irregular heartbeat
● Unusual bleeding
● Bloody stool
● Swelling around the eyes
Note - Immediately contact your doctor or medical practitioner if any side effects occur.
Take this medicine as prescribed by your doctor. Do not stop or skip your regular dosing
● It is advisable not to miss a dose. If you miss a scheduled dose of Imatero tablets,
contact your doctor immediately.
● In case of an overdose of Imatero tablets, the doctor will provide emergency medical
Imatero medicine is also used in the treatment of certain types of cancer of the blood cells,
stomach, and intestine. It helps to prevent the growth of cancer cells. Do not take this medicine
on an empty stomach. While having treatment with this medicine keep yourself hydrated and
maintain good nutrition. Do not take this medicine in the wrong way as it may lead to some
severe side effects. Avoid the consumption of alcohol because it may increase the risk of
dizziness. It is advisable not to change your regular dosing schedule without taking suggestions
from your doctor.
Before starting treatment with Imatero medicine, please inform your doctor about your previous
medical history. If you experience any signs and symptoms while receiving this medication, do
not ignore those symptoms because it may lead to higher risk.
○ Use suitable methods of contraception to prevent pregnancy while taking this
● Children and adolescents
○ Imatero tablets are advisable for use in children and adolescents with CML.
Warnings for female
○ Do not use Imatero medicine if you are planning to become pregnant. Avoid this
medication at the time of pregnancy.
○ This medicine is not recommended in breastfeeding unless it is required. Please
consult with your doctor before starting treatment with this medication.
● This medicine should be used with caution in patients who are suffering from heart
● In children, close monitoring of growth parameters is required during treatment with this
● Avoid contact with people who have infections.
● Inform your doctor if you experience any side effects like - anxiety, nausea, abdominal
pain, difficulty in breathing, irregular heartbeat, and vomiting.
● Close monitoring of thyroid hormones is required in patients suffering from
● Imatero tablets may interact with other medications and cause some severe side effects.
● Do not drive or operate heavy machinery.
● Do not crush or break the tablet.
● Not safe for pregnant women.
● Do not breastfeed while receiving this medication.
Q1. What is Imatero (Imatinib mesylate)?
Ans. This medicine is used in the treatment of blood cancer (chronic myeloid leukemia and
Acute lymphocytic leukemia) and gastrointestinal stromal tumor.
Q2. What are the side effects?
Ans. Some common side effects are - insomnia, difficulty in breathing, seizures, diarrhea, joint
pain, constipation, anxiety, etc.
Q3. In what strength is it available?
Ans. This medicine is available in the strength of 100mg and 400mg.
Q4. Can I consume alcohol while receiving this medicine?
Ans. Avoid consuming alcohol because it may increase dizziness.
Q5. What happens if I miss a dose?
Ans. If you miss a scheduled dose of Imatero tablets, contact your doctor immediately.
Q6. How to take this medicine?
Ans. It is important to take this medicine as prescribed by your doctor.
Q7. How does Imatero tablet work?
Ans. This medicine inhibits the proliferation and induces apoptosis (planned cell death) in BCR-
ABL cancer cells. It helps to prevent the growth of cancer cells.
Q8. Can I drive after taking this medicine?
Ans. This medicine may affect your vision and your ability to concentrate.
Q9. Can I take this medicine during pregnancy?
Ans. This medicine is not recommended during pregnancy.
Q10. What should I avoid while receiving this medication?
Ans. Avoid contact with people who have infections.
Q11. Can I take this medicine during breastfeeding?
Ans. This medicine is not recommended in breastfeeding unless it is necessary.
Q12. Does this medicine affect liver function?
Ans. Please consult your doctor before consuming this drug.
Q13. What are the storage conditions?
Ans. Store this medicine at room temperature.